Acrysof IQ ReSTOR® Multifocal Intraocular Lens
The ReSTOR® Lens
The AcrySof ReSTOR® Apodized Diffractive Optic Posterior IOL (ReSTOR®) is a permanent artificial lens. It is used in adult patients with and without presbyopia, who desire near, intermediate and distance vision with increased independence from glasses and contact lenses. The ReSTOR® lens is implanted in the eye as a lens replacement at the time of cataract surgery or refractive lens exchange (PRELEX).
Similar to other lens implant procedures, you can expect your vision to be good the day following surgery. There is minimal discomfort after surgery that usually resolves within hours. Most individuals can return to a normal work schedule/routine the day after surgery.
The AcrySof ReSTOR® IOL has a patented optic design using apodization, diffraction and refraction technologies. The apodized diffractive optic design gives it the ability to focus light correctly on the retina for images at various distances without mechanical movement of the lens.
- Apodization is a gradual reduction or blending of the diffractive step heights.
- This unique technology optimally manages light energy delivered to the retina because it distributes the appropriate amount of light to near and distant focal points, regardless of the lighting situation.
- Apodized diffractive optics are designed to improve image quality while minimizing visual disturbances. The result is an increased range of quality vision that delivers a high level of spectacle freedom.
Virtually everyone who has cataracts and is in good general health may be candidate for implant surgery, but people with chronic infections, uncontrolled diabetes, or other health problems may have to wait until these conditions are under control prior to surgery.
People who have had prior corneal refractive surgery (i.e. LASIK or PRK) may be acceptable candidates for ReSTOR® implantation as long as their eyes are in good health. After a thorough examination, we will be able to better advise you if you qualify for the ReSTOR® implant.
If you’ve already had cataract surgery, you’re not a candidate for the ReSTOR® procedure.
There are no known contraindications. However, based on the FDA clinical trials, Alcon, the lens manufacturer, has indicated the following types of patients possibly should not have the AcrySof ReSTOR® Apodized Diffractive Intraocular Lens:
- Patients that are hypercritical with unrealistic expectations
- Patients with excessive complaints about their prescription
- Patients who drive at night for a living or whose occupation or hobbies depend on good night vision
- Patients who are amateur or commercial airline pilots
- Patients who have lifelong complaints about glare
- Patients who are happy wearing glasses
- Patients who want guarantees on surgical outcomes
Take Our Premium IOL (RESTOR/ TECNIS) Questionnaire
The FDA-approved AcrySof ReSTOR® is a breakthrough in intraocular lens technology for most people with cataracts, with or without presbyopia, that may restore the eyesight of youth. Results from a controlled clinical study of the AcrySof ReSTOR® IOL revealed that maximum visual performance is achieved when implanted bilaterally.
Clinical data demonstrates that AcrySof ReSTOR® IOL greatly reduces dependence on glasses or bifocals:
- 80% of patients reported that after lens implant surgery with ReSTOR® lenses, they never needed glasses or contact lenses to see clearly at all distances.
- 94% reported being able to drive or read the newspaper without glasses or contacts
- Nearly 94% were so satisfied that they would have the procedure again.
In addition, the quality of vision compared to wearing bifocals and/or trifocals is significantly improved. You’ll have a full range of vision, without having to tilt your head to find that portion of your glasses that allows you to see clearly.
Everyone’s focusing ability is different. Most people will be able to see clearly in the distance, have very good reading vision and functional intermediate vision without glasses, but some people may be more comfortable with additional correction, particularly at night or in dim light or for long periods of computer work.
After surgery with the ReSTOR® lens, it may be necessary for some people to wear glasses for distance, intermediate and/or near vision to obtain optimal visual acuity. The difference from standard lenses is that most people will not be as dependent on these supplemental vision aids to function normally.
Our office offers evaluations for this procedure and our staff will discuss refractive options with you. Our pricing is all inclusive and includes pre-operative and post-operative care, all facility fees, and surgeon fees.
Ask about our cash discount.
If you would like to find out more about this exciting, once in a lifetime opportunity of turning back the clock on your vision, please contact us to see how we can restore your near vision to what it used to be when you were younger. Call us at 281-420-(EYES)3937 or Schedule Online